Historic Architectural Survey of Bowman County
Like beads on a string, towns were spaced across Bowman County with the advent of the Milwaukee Railroad in 1907-8, and the easternmost town in the county was Gascoyne. Gascoyne today has no businesses still in operation, no church, and no school, but many of its old commerical buildings still stand in good shape, and it is the site of a number of tidy residences.
|Anchoring the north end of the business district is the Gascoyne Lumber Company. Its sheds stretch to the north and east, but its office section faces southwest onto the main street and has an attractive facade topped with a dainty dentated cornice.|
|South and across the street is another important commercial building, Gascoyne Hardware. It has a false front of brick, back of which stretches a gabled roof atop stuccoed walls of tile. Living quarters in back included a comfortable screened porch.|
|Anchoring the south end of the business district, on the east side, is the Gascoyne Bowling Alley. In a previous life it was an auto dealership and garage. The side walls of the building are stuccoed tile, but the facade is of brick, with attractive glass-block windows.|
|On the west side of town stands the Gascoyne School, quite an impressive school when it was constructed in the 1910s. It housed three large classrooms and had a basement large enough for early competitive basketball contests (which were later moved to the Woodman Hall, no longer standing). The front entry, facing south, included some stately Neo-Classical details.|
|The last postmaster of Gascoyne was Gladys Erickson, who still lives in this frame house in the southwest corner of town. The house has one unusual feature, its clipped-gable roof. It also is home to a wonderful story involving the hand pump out front, an invalid girl who used to live there, and a circus elephant.|
To see the Erickson Grocery, where Gladys was postmater until 1977, go to the exhibit.
Center for Heritage Renewal